Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sometimes Size Really Does Matter

A few months ago my Mom and I went to Hawaii for vacation. I took lots of pictures of fish when I was snorkeling and now I'm painting a few. The problem with fish (creatively) is that they have a lot of tiny angles. And for some reason I decided to paint on smaller canvas than I normally do. Which means - I can't use my normal set of large brushes.

I know some say it's not the size of the tool, it's how you use it. But so far, I have not been able to figure out how to use a large brush to fill a tiny precise corner of canvas. Its like trying to hammer a tack into the wall with a mallet - it just doesn't work.

So now I'm sitting at my easel all hunched over, trying to work these tiny brushes into tiny corners. It's still kind of driving me crazy because I hate to work that tight and tense. But - I am making progress, which is fabulous. Guess I just needed the right sized tool for the job. Sometimes smaller really is better. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment